As we have known that discouragement is a disease unique to human beings. It’s universal. Everyone gets it. It re occurs. You can catch it more than once. It’s highly contagious. hang around discouraged people – and you will be inflected!
So What Causes Discouragement?
1. FATIGUE when you are physically or emotionally exhausted, you are a prime candidate to be friend with discouragement. This often occurs when you are about halfway through a major project – you’re tired but you can’t quit.
2. FRUSTRATION when unfinished task pile up, its natural to feel overwhelmed. And when trivial matters or the unexpected interrupt you and prevent you from accomplishing what you really need to do, your frustration can easily produce discouragement.
3. FAILURE sometimes you best laid plans fall part. The project collapses, the deal fall a through, the purchase order is cancelled. How do you react? How do you give in to self pity? Do you blame others? “just when I think I can make ends meet – somebody moves the end! that’s discouraging.!
4. FEAR is behind more discouragement than we’d like to admit. The fear of criticism ( what will they think?_, fear of responsibility ( what if I can’t, handle this?), and the fear of failure ( what if I blow it) can onset the blues.
WHAT IS THE CURE?
There is a fascinating story in the bible about how a man named Nehemiah mobilized the residents of Jerusalem to build a wall around the entire city. halfway through the project, the citizens became discouraged and wanted to give up because of the four causes given fatigue, frustration, failure and fear). Here is what Nehemiah told them ( Chapter 4) to do to defeat discouragement:
1. REST YOUR BODY. If you need to take a break – DO SO! You will be far more effective when you return to your work. If you are burning the candle at both ends, you are not as bright as you think you are.
2. RE ORGANIZE YOUR LIFE. Get this – it is an important distinction. Discouragement does not necessarily mean you are doing the wrong thing. It may just be that you are doing the right thing in the wrong way. Try a new approach! Shake things up a little.
3. REMEMBER GOD WILL HELP YOU. Just ask him. He can give you a new energy. There is incredible power in faith. (Matt 11:28, Phil 4:13
4. RESIST THE DISCOURAGEMENT. Fight back. Discouragement is a choice. If you are feeling discouraged, it is because you have chosen to be that way. No one is forcing you to feel bad. Hang on – be persistent Do what’s right in spite of your feelings. No feeling last forever.